Read this tip to make your life smarter, better, faster and wiser. LifeTips is the place to go when you need to know about Preventing Identity Theft and other Identity Theft topics.
If you want to know how to prevent identity theft, follow this advice from the experts:
• To avoid identity theft, limit the number of debit and credit cards you carry to just a few, in case your wallet or purse gets stolen.
• If you use a debit card, monitor your account activity regularly.
• In restaurants and stores, be sure your card is only used in one swipe machine. For prevention of identity theft by thieving employees, your card should never leave your sight.
• Use a credit card rather than a debit card for shopping online. Be sure the shopping site is secure and your information is encrypted before sending anything over the Internet.
• Never throw your credit or debit card receipts in the garbage in public.
• One of the best ways to prevent identity theft by someone who steals your wallet is to record your credit card, debit card, bank accounts, and investment numbers in a safe location. Also keep expiration dates and customer service numbers. Do not store these numbers in your wallet or purse, but keep them somewhere you can quickly access to call all of your bank and creditors if your wallet is missing.
• Know how to protect yourself from identity theft by mail. Monitor when your new or updated credit cards are being mailed to you. If you do not receive them in the appropriate amount of time, call the company immediately.